Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Students' Worksheet Writing Narrative (2)


STUDENTS’ WORKSHEET
WRITING NARRATIVE TEXT(2)

Indicator:
-          Identifying vocabularies
-          Identifying “Subjunctives”
-          Identifying Narrative Text

Task 1:
LOOK UP THE MEANINGS OF THE WORDS IN YOUR DICTIONARY!

NO
WORD
PART OF SPEECH
MEANING
1
proudly
Adverb

2
shawl
Noun

3
step
Verb

4
shook
Verb

5
blow
Verb

6
screamed
Verb

7
scatter
Verb

8
amazed
Adjective

9
coincidentally
Adverb

10
shocked
Adjective



Task 2:
COMPLETE THE SENTENCES USING THE WORDS IN TASK 2

1.      I … for help when I saw a big snake in the bathtub.
2.      The farmers … seeds in their field.
3.      My little brother … his head when my mother asked him.
4.      Don’t … on the grass.
5.      It’s cold. My grandma wears a … on her neck.
6.      Roni was … when he knew his father was killed by a robber before him.
7.      The wind … the balloon into the sky.
8.      My mother told my neighbor about my career …
9.      The students met Mr. Harrington in the office …
10.  I was … at Thomas Alpha Edison’s invention.


Task 3: GRAMMAR
Let’s study about “Subjunctive”

What do you say when talking about events that are possibly not to happen?
We use subjunctive when talking about the events that somebody:
·         wants to happen
·         hopes will happen
·         imagines happening



Wish
Unreality as contrary to the reality in present and future
S + wish(that) + S + past tense
Example: I wish I knew her address
Fact: I don’t know her address.
Unreality as contrary to the reality in past
S + wish + S + past perfect
Example: I wish my sister had gone to Semarang
Fact: My sister didn’t go to Semarang

If only
Unreality as contrary to the reality in present, past, and future
If only + S + past tense
Example: If only I were healthy, I would be able to go to the party
Fact: I’m not healthy, so I am not able to go to the party.
If only + S + past perfect
Example: If only the students had started early, they would have finished the work.
Fact: They did not start early, so they didn’t finish the work.

Would rather
To state choices which are different from the reality
S + would rather + S + past tense
Example: I would rather my brother went home now.
Fact: My brother doesn’t go home now.

S + would rather + S + past perfect
Example: My mother would rather I had saved all my money.
Fact: I didn’t save all my money

As if/As Though
To say how someone or something looks
SAV   +    as if      + S + past tense
SB     Vs      as though
Examples:
1.      Mrs. Rosita acts as if she were a rich woman
Fact: She isn’t a rich woman
2.      Herman treats me as though I were a stranger.
Fact: I am not a stranger

S + V2/ed  as if        + S + past perfect
                   as though
Examples:
1.      That man talked as if he had known all about the problem.
Fact: That man didn’t know all about the problem.
2.      The boy looked as though he had a ghost.
Fact: The boy did not see a ghost.


Task 4:
COMPLETE THE SENTENCES IN THE BRACKETS TO EXPRESS WISHES WHICH ARE CONTRARY TO THE FACTS.

1.      I have to go to class. (I wish …)
2.      Mr. Indra isn’t in his office today. (Mr. Adi wishes …)
3.      The meeting was delayed. (Mr. Chandra wishes …)
4.      Hilman never listens to my advice. (I wish …)
5.      Shinta was absent yesterday. (Shinta’s father wishes …)
6.      My grandpa and granma didn’t stay with us. (We wish …)
7.      Imelda could not play the piano. (We wish …)


Task 5:
MAKE SENTENCES USING IF ONLY

Example:
John was not here yesterday – he did not meet Ann
If only John had been here yesterday, he would have met Ann.

1.      People did not take the old woman to the hospital – she died
2.      Brian did not finish his homework last night – he did not go to the party
3.      Your friends did not find your house – they stayed in a hotel
4.      The black man did not stop for the red light – the collision took place.
5.      The study tour costs too much – I will not join it.
6.      The old woman lost all of her money – we had to help her.
7.      We waited for my grandpa I the corridor – we did not meet him.
8.      Ronald spent the day talking to his friends – he neglected his duty.


Task 6:
MAKE SENTENCES USING WOULD RATHER

Example:
You speak fast. (slowly)
è I would rather you spoke slowly

1.      The office closes at two o’clock. (at five o’clock)
2.      Mrs. Candra went by bus. (by plane)
3.      The farmers grow corn and peanuts. (cotton)
4.      My husband works at night. (in the morning)
5.      Mr. Candra bought a car. (a house)
6.      Mr. and Mrs. Arman took their children to the beach. (to the mountain)
7.      Most of the students submitted their assignment at the very last minutes. (early)
8.      You stayed up late last night. (go to bed early)


Task 7:
MAKE SENTENCES USING AS IF OR AS THOUGH

1.      Aldo ran fast. A ghost did not chase him.
2.      Rizal speaks loudly. He is not in the forest.
3.      Zaskia acts. She is not a queen.
4.      Dani treated his friend badly. He was not a master.
5.      Mr. Smith entered the meeting room with a smile. He did not know every man in that room.
6.      Tiara behaves. She is not a beautiful girl.
7.      Work hard! Tomorrow is not the end of the world.
8.      Shinta smiled at me. She did not know me before.


Task 8:
REARRANGE THE JUMBLED PARAGRAPHS INTO A PROPER NARRATIVE TEXT


(1)      You’ll need the supper-big size, it’ll turn that grass to hay. They struggled and they heaved to get that mower on the bike.
          “It’s just too big,” said Barney.
          “But I’ll tow it you like. “So, Barney set off on his bike with Noah’s mower in tow. Pedailing was difficult and progress very slow.

(2)       He rode through the city park and across the school’s front lawn. But what Barney didn’t realize was, wherever he rode got shorn! He then cut through the golf course and over the hockey ground. He would have seen some puzzled looks if only he’d turned around. At last he reached the highway, he was very nearly there. People toothed, smiled, and waved at that cycling, mowing bear.

(3)       Barney had a bicycle. It was shiny white and red. He always wore his cycling shorts, and a helmet on his head. Barney was a delivery bear for Furry Freddy’s store. No sooner than the phone would ring, and he’d be out the door. He delivered everything from biscuits, milk, and sweets to garden forks and pot plants and floral-patterned sheets.

(4)        Noah, the goat, was smiling as Barney came through the gate. “Your delivery skills are very good, but your mowing skills are great!” So now at Furry Freddy’s store, when the phone starts to go, it’s probably a customer whose lawn needs a mow!

(5)       But then, one day a call came through from a goat by the name of Noah. “I can’t keep up with my grass. Have you got a mower?”
           “Why yes, of course,” said Freddy.
           “We’ll deliver it today.”

Source: The Delivery Bear





1 comment: